Review: Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Shifts
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels, #8
Publisher: Ace
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Pages: 352
Rating:

After breaking from life with the Pack, mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate—former Beast Lord Curran Lennart—are adjusting to a very different pace. While they’re thrilled to escape all the infighting, Curran misses the constant challenges of leading the shapeshifters.

So when the Pack offers him its stake in the Mercenary Guild, Curran seizes the opportunity—too bad the Guild wants nothing to do with him and Kate. Luckily, as a veteran merc, Kate can take over any of the Guild’s unfinished jobs in order to bring in money and build their reputation. But what Kate and Curran don’t realize is that the odd jobs they’ve been working are all connected.

An ancient enemy has arisen, and Kate and Curran are the only ones who can stop it—before it takes their city apart piece by piece…

I have to say for the record, I never in a million years thought I would be disappointed with a Kate Daniels book, EVER! I swear that 2015 is not my year. I have been disappointed in almost every highly anticipated book of 2015 on my list, but a few. I don't even know where to start with MAGIC SHIFTS. Basically I assumed this book would be different, I mean in the previous book, Kate met her father, Roland and she claimed the city. But, Roland demanded that she also could not be in a position of power that she gets by being the Beast Lord's Consort. So she needed to leave the pack, but she could not leave the pack and still be with Curran, because he is the Beast Lord, so he decided to leave it all. So in this book we are experiencing how it is like for Curran and Kate leading somewhat peaceful lives since the are not apart of the keep any longer.

“Why, of course, Your Majesty. What was I thinking? I will go and do this right away, just please don’t look at me.” “Kate, get in the car.” “Maybe you should growl dramatically. I don’t think I’m intimidated enough.” 

Do I believe the book wasn't as great as the others because Curran and Kate were no longer apart of the keep? Yes and no. I think I was so used to the keep and Curran being Beast Lord. And I don't care what anyone says, Curran will always be the Beast Lord! I mean Kate still calls him, his majesty! I miss the craziness of a lot of the pack members you got in the previous book by driving Kate and sometimes Curran nuts. But we still get to see a lot of the pack members, because the do come and visit Kate and Curran. And anyone who decided they want to leave the keep with Kate and Curran may also do so. Everything just fell so out of place with this. I guess, I just don't like change. Haha!

What really had turned me off was the plot and storyline. A lot of the time it is the focal point of the book, so if the plot is no good, I have trouble even being interested in the book in the first place. This is the first time in a Kate Daniels book that I wasn't into the book because of the plot. It was so fucking boring that I found my myself skimming! Skimming a fucking Kate Daniels book! I don't do that! And this book made me want to do that! And I do feel like this book was a filler book. It felt like a filler book to me because of the nonsense of the plot and the plot had to happen to discover something that is vital to the continuation of this series. Oh, and what the fuck! Did Hugh get written out or something? He's mentioned, but I want my crazy psychopath back!

I would kill him. “Just so I get it right, Jim calls you and says, ‘Hey, we found a horde of ghouls in the MARTA tunnels,’ and your first thought was, ‘Great, I’ll take the kids’?” 

But that does not mean that I did not like the book at all. I semi-liked it because I did love the character developments and great dialogue that Ilona Andrews is famous for. We got Kate, Curran and Julie trying the whole dynamic family thing. Cute. We had pack members who remain completely loyal to Kate and Curran still no matter who the new Beast Lord is. And Oh.my.god. (view spoiler) And I don't care what anyone says, the best moment in this whole book is when George (aka Mahon's daughter) and Curran totally BURN Mahon! He's finally getting a taste of his own medicine on how much a asshole he is! Oh, yeah! Like I said, Best.Moment.Ever. And we do get some Roland, like one freaking scene. Yeah, Daddy's crazy! And Kate finally finds out what he's after and she plans to do everything in her power to prevent it!

All and all, I did like MAGIC SHIFTS, but I didn't love it. I don't expect to love every freaking book in every one of my favorite series, there's bound to be some duds. This one wasn't freaking horrible, it was just okay and didn't pack the punch that the rest of them did for me. This one basically felt like a filler book and felt so unlike the rest of them. But it had great Kate Daniels moments and great dialogue. You'll still laugh and enjoy it. I just want the next one, because of that ending. Things are definitely getting interesting and I can't wait for Kate to grow stronger with her magic being a key factor.



No comments :

Post a Comment